I’ve made BBQ sauce a few times, but I’d never written a recipe to go with them, so I decided with summer coming up – as soon as possible! – it was high time. I wanted to do a sweeter sauce, not something too spicy or smoky, so I decided to go the bourbon route.
This is definitely a sweeter style sauce, if you want something a bit less sweet, then just cut back some on the molasses. The bourbon flavor is definitely there – if you want the alcohol to cook off completely you should let it cook a bit longer with the onions. Personally, I love the way this recipe comes out as written – it’s zesty, tangy, sweet and bourbony. What’s not to love?
I served this sandwich as a special on my food truck last week, and people went crazy about it. If you’re a BBQ lover and on the lookout for new, easy sauces to make at home, I highly recommend you try this one. It’s delicious.
Bourbon BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- 1 rotisserie chicken - meat removed and hand shredded
- ½ onion - minced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- ¾ cup bourbon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp tabasco
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 large Kaiser rolls
- Put the onion, garlic and whiskey in a deep heavy bottomed skillet and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the onion has softened completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes - stirring often.
- Add the shredded chicken and continue to cook for about 1 more hour, stirring often to make sure the chicken is constantly coated in sauce.
- Toast the Kaiser rolls on both sides, put some pickle chips on the bottom bun - pile high with chicken and serve.