This jalapeno poppers recipe is super simple and very traditionally Mexican. Served with fresh corn tortillas, a little avocado and some black bean sauce these authentic jalapeño poppers make for a very impressive appetizer.
Jalapeños Rellenos – the Original Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 jalapenos - large, fresh
- ½ cup cheese - shredded
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup flour
- salt - dash
- vegetable oil - for frying
- Cut each jalapeno lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pith with a small spoon.
- Stuff each jalapeno with cheese, then secure with a toothpick and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Put some oil in a skillet - about ½ an inch, and heat over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, beat the eggs whites in a large bowl until foamy. And the pinch of salt and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle the flour on a small plate, then coat each jalapeno in flour, then dip in the egg whites and carefully place in the hot oil.
- Fry, turning them once, for about 3 minutes - or until golden.
- Serve with black bean sauce (puree some black beans with a little of their water until thin), sour cream, avocado and fresh tortillas.