Pasta e Fagioli is classic Italian comfort food. It is insanely delicious, and it's perfect on a chilly evening. This soup is hearty and filling, but not too heavy - it's just right. Be careful to not let the pasta overcook or it will get mushy - don't forget that the pasta will continue to cook after you've removed it from the heat.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 large carrots - peeled and chopped
- 2 large onions - diced
- 3 stalks celery - thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cans tomatoes - 14 oz cans, diced, with juices
- 2 cans pasta sauce - 14 oz cans
- 1 can kidney beans - 14 oz can
- 1 can white beans - 14 oz can
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon oregano - dried
- 1 tablespoon tabasco
- 3 cups macaroni - dried pasta
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the carrots, onions, and celery - generously add salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except the pasta), bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes, until the carrots are not quite tender.
- Add the pasta and cook until for a couple more minutes, then remove from heat and let sit - be aware the pasta will continue to cook as the soup rests and can get over cooked very easily - if the soup thickens too much as it rests, just stir in some water to thin it out.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.