This chicken cordon bleu recipe is super easy to follow, and the parmesan dijon sauce is so good, it’s ridiculous. Be sure to use good quality ham, and a swiss type cheese is a must. Make this when you want a special dinner, but don’t have tons of time.
from: ben rayl
problems viewing this recipe?
click here for a printer friendly, text version
- for the chicken:
- chicken breasts - 2 boneless, skinless
- ham - 4 slices
- swiss cheese - 4 slices
- all purpose flour - 3/4 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- egg - 1
- milk - 2 tbsp
- bread crumbs - 1 cup
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- butter - 1 tbsp
- for the sauce:
- butter - 2 tbsp
- all purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- milk - 1 cup
- bouillon cube - 1, chicken flavored, crushed
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- dijon mustard - 1 tbsp
- worcestershire sauce - 1 tsp
- parmesan - 1/2 cup, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise, making 4 thinner cutlets. Put each cutlet between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten with a meat pounder until they are approximately 1/4" thick.
- Top each cutlet with a slice of ham and cheese - then roll up tightly, tuck in the ends and secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper together and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in another small bowl and set aside as well.
- Place the bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip the rolled cutlets in the flour first, then the egg wash and then roll in the bread crumbs and set on a plate.
- Heat the oil and butter in a small skillet over medium heat and brown the chicken on all sides before transferring to a greased baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until no longer pink.
While the chicken is baking, make the cream sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and continue to whisk constantly for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, then stir in the chicken bouillon and salt - whisk constantly over medium heat until it begins to simmer and thicken - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mustard, worchestershire sauce, and parmesan until well combined and the cheese has melted.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from oven and serve drizzled with the sauce.
(remember to remove the toothpicks before serving)