Cabbage Roll Casserole & Video
Stuffed cabbage rolls are so delicious, but can be a bit complicated to make. This cabbage roll casserole is the answer - it has all the flavor, but not much labor. If you want this vegetarian, it's super easy - just leave out the beef.
Check out these kitchen essentials helpful in making this recipe:
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- olive oil - 4 tbsp, separated
- onion - 1 medium, chopped
- garlic cloves - 3, minced
- ground beef - 1 pound (500 g)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- thyme - 1 tsp, dried
- paprika - 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce - 1 tbsp
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- white vinegar - 1 tbsp
- diced tomatoes - 1 14 oz (400 g) can, with juices
- tomato sauce - 1 15 oz (480 g) jar
- brown rice - 2 cups, cooked
- green cabbage - 1 large head, coarsely chopped
- parmesan - 1/2 cup, grated
- mozzarella - 1 cup, shredded
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium heat and saute the onion for about 3 - 4 minutes, until softened, then add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Increase the heat to high and add the ground beef and season well with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, crumbling it up as it cooks.
- Stir in the thyme, paprika, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and vinegar and cook for a couple more minutes before adding the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Swirl about 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the tomato sauce jar and add that as well.
- Let this simmer for about 15 minutes, then stir in the cooked rice and remove from heat.
- In another large, deep, pan heat 2 more tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat and add the chopped cabbage. Cook, stirring almost constantly until the cabbage is about half cooked - add salt and pepper generously as it cooks, then remove from heat.
- Heat your oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a large casserole dish.
- Spread about 1/2 the cabbage onto the bottom, pressing it down a bit with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon half the beef mixture over the cabbage, then add the other half of the cabbage and finish with the rest of the meat mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, then remove the foil and sprinkle the cheeses on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 10 more minutes, until the cheese melts, then move the dish to the top of the oven - turn the broiler on for a minute or two until the cheese begins to brown.