Fall is here, and Ricardo had the right idea baking this chicken pot pie the other evening, and he wanted to share the recipe. I had the pleasure of enjoying it, and this recipe is a keeper, the filling was the perfect blend of creaminess and flavor. The crust is perfect, so flaky, but firm enough to add a great texture to the pie. I couldn't recommend more that you try this, and enjoy it on a cool fall evening with a great glass of Pinot Noir . .
Individual Chicken Pot Pies
- 1 pie crust
- 6 cups chicken stock - preferable homemade
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper - fresh ground
- ¼ cup double cream - or crème fraîche
- 3 chicken breasts - cooked and diced
- 3 large carrots - diced and blanched for 2 minutes
- 2 cups peas - frozen
- 1 ¼ cup pearl onions - frozen
- 3 tbsp parsley - fresh leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190°C).
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions over medium-low heat until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot chicken stock, and simmer over low heat for another minute, stirring contantly, until thick.
- Add the salt, pepper, and double cream, and stir to incorporate.
- Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions and parsley and mix well.
- Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces and roll each piece into a 5 inch (20cm) circle.
- Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, and place the dough on top.
- Trim the circle to ½ inch (1cm) larger than the top of the bowl.
- Crimp the dough to fold over the side, and press it to make it stick.
- Brush the egg wash on the dough and make 3 cuts in the top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.