This BBQ chicken cornbread pie recipe is so easy to throw together and the flavors are just great. The bbq sauce is just sweet enough, and the added salsa gives the perfect zip. Use a cornbread mix to make this even easier, or make your own from scratch.
Love cornbread? Try my classic jalapeno cheddar cornbread recipe. This quick and easy cornbread recipe is fantastic.
The sweet and spicy chicken topping is perfect on top of the crispy cornbread crust. The combination makes for a super unique, ridiculously delicious dinner, any night of the week. A total yum-fest.
This Cornbread Pie is really quick and easy to make. There’s about 20 minutes of prep time and it’s in the oven for about an hour, so yeee-haw – dinner on the table in under an hour. And an incredibly delicious dinner at that. 😉
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Pie
for the cornbread pt1: (substitute for Jiffy Cornbread Mix)
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
for the cornbread pt2:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon butter - melted
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup corn - canned, drained
- 3 tablespoon jalapenos - pickled, chopped
for the chicken:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 large chicken breast - cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon tabasco
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mexican salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese - shredded
- salt and pepper - to taste
to make the cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C) and grease a 9" pie pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together well. Whisk in the egg, butter and milk, until the batter is smooth then stir in the corn and jalapenos.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pie pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
to make the bbq chicken:
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the chicken, salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce then cook for about 3 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the worcestershire, salsa, water and brown sugar. Stir this into the chicken then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Pour this over the cornbread then sprinkle the cheese on top. Put it back in the top third of the oven with the broiler on high until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.