I feel like one can never have enough good banana bread recipes, and when I saw a pile of beautiful blueberries in the grocery store the other day, I knew I wanted to try a new one. I had never made a banana bread with buttermilk before but thought it would help make this bread light and fluffy, and it did. This bread is very delicious and super-easy to make. The blueberry is definitely front and center here and their flavor is perfect with the banana.
As you can probably tell from the picture, I used more than 1 cup of blueberries because I wanted the bread packed full. You are welcome to add as many as you like—the more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. And here’s a tip you might not know: tossing blueberries with a tiny bit of flour first keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the pan.
Blueberry Buttermilk Banana Bread
- 2 cups allpurpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter - at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bananas - mashed ripe
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a 9 x 5" loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixture to beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy - about 2 or 3 minutes. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, then use a spoon to stir in the bananas and gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes back clean.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes in the pan before turning out and cooling completely on a wire rack.