The closer and closer we get to fall, the more I crave things like pumpkin and sweet potatoes. I decided I wanted to try a sweet potato casserole or “bake,” and ended up pairing it with this buffalo chicken.
All of the flavors combine together so well—the sweetness of the potatoes gives the perfect contrast to the spicy wing sauce and the bacon adds the perfect fat and crunch. The celery and blue cheese really pull the whole theme together. None of the flavors here compete; they blend together perfectly.
Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Bake
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - separated
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 5 large sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 chicken breasts - cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- to taste salt and pepper
- 12 oz Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce
- 1 cup bacon - cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup blue cheese - crumbled
- ½ cup celery - finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 F and grease a large baking dish.
- Put the sweet potatoes, chicken pieces, paprika, cumin, the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil and the cooked onions and garlic together in a bowl and toss them to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over about ¾ of the bottle of wing sauce and toss again until everything is well coated.
- Pour everything into the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes - stirring well every 10 - 15 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are fork tender, remove from the oven. Drizzle on the remaining wing sauce, then sprinkle on the bacon, blue cheese and celery. Return to the oven for about 5 more minutes to melt the cheese.