I love cherry pie filling. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and I really wanted to try something really different with it. First I thought about trying it out in an egg roll—there seems to be a bit of a dessert egg roll craze right now—but given my die-hard love for all things Mexican, I decided to go the chimichanga route. I am really happy with the result. These came out great and are so delicious.
The zesty cream cheese really supports and enhances the cherry flavor, and the creaminess it provides gives great substance. The crispy sugary flour tortilla is very reminiscent of a sopapilla—it combines so well with the sweet cherry filling.
Cherry Pie Chimichangas
I love cherry pie filling. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and I really wanted to try something really different with it.Print Pin Rate Share
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 oz cream cheese - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 flour tortillas
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- for frying vegetable oil
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the cream cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Put about ¼ cup of cherry pie filling on top of the cream cheese, then roll up the tortillas tight, like a burrito.
- Put on a plate and chill for about 30 minutes (if possible).
- Pour about 1" of oil into a deep frying pan, and heat. When hot, add two or three rolls and allow to brown on one side before turning them over to brown on the other side.
- Remove and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then set aside while you finish the remaining chimichangas.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 265mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 346IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg
Leave a Reply