A crunchy shortbread crust is the perfect base for this coconut cream pie bar recipe. With a layer of chocolate ganache in between, these bars will quickly become your favorite dessert.
Coconut Cream Pie (and Chocolate) Bars
A crunchy shortbread crust is the perfect base for this coconut cream pie bar recipe. With a layer of chocolate ganache in between, these bars will quickly become your favorite dessert.Print Pin Rate Share
Servings: 24 Servings
for the crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut - shredded
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter - cold, cut into small pieces
for the chocolate ganache:
- 10 oz dark chocolate - coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
for the coconut cream filling:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar - plus 2 tbsp
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup coconut - shredded
for the whipped cream topping:
- ½ cup coconut - shredded and toasted
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
to make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Line the bottom with baking paper, then grease the paper.
- Mix the flour, coconut, powdered sugar and salt together in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add the butter and mix in with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the dough resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and bake until golden brown - about 25 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
to make the chocolate ganache:
- While the crust is baking, make the chocolate ganache.
- Combine the chocolate pieces and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of boiling water. Stir until the chocolate is melted and blended with the cream.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then spread the chocolate over the cooled crust.
- Put the chocolate covered crust in the fridge to chill until the ganache has hardened and the crust is completely cool - about 1 hour.
to make the coconut filling:
- While the crust is chilling make the coconut cream filling.
- Stir the whole milk and coconut milk together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk constantly until the mixture boils and becomes very thick then remove from heat, run through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, then stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then pour the custard over the cooled ganache and refrigerate until chilled - about 4 hours.
to make the whipped cream topping:
- Toast the coconut by placing it in a skillet and cooking over medium heat until golden brown - about 5 minutes, stirring or tossing often so it doesn't burn. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Pour the whipping cream into a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and mix with electric mixer on medium speed until thickened and soft peaks form.
- Cut the chilled custard filled crust into bars and remove from their pan. Fill a pastry bag with the whipped cream and decoratively pipe onto each bar, then sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Serve chilled.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 120mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 399IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3mg