OK, I know it’s a bit odd to be making a frozen dessert in the middle of January when it’s freezing cold out, but I’d been sitting on this idea for a while now and decided to just go for it. This “cake” is really great, and while it is definitely perfect for summertime eating, it’s actually very good any time of the year. I used a bag of really high quality frozen strawberries, and it was amazing, but I can only imagine how good this will be with perfectly ripe fruit this summer.
The crunchy crumble is the perfect base for the light, fluffy strawberry cream. This dessert is a perfect idea for a kids party—or any time (of the year) you want a perfectly sweet, icy treat for after dinner.
Frozen Strawberry Crumble Crunch Cake
- 2 cups flour - sifted
- ½ cup brown sugar - packed
- ½ cup nuts - any kind
- 1 cup butter - melted
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pound strawberries - sliced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Stir together the first 4 ingredients and spread evenly in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, berries and lemon juice and beat at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form - about 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until almost stiff, then fold gently into the berry mixture. Pour this over the crumbs in the baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining crumble mixture and freeze 6 hours or overnight. Cut into squares and garnish with whole strawberries.
- Serve almost frozen.