I’ve been making this chicken cordon bleu recipe for years, and I’m convinced it truly is the perfect dinner. It’s great for a special occasion (cause it’s kind of fancy), but it’s easy enough to have any night of the week. The Parmesan Dijon Sauce is absolutely heavenly. I promise you that if you end up with any left over, you’re gonna sop it all up with some great bread. It’s phenomenal.
A note about rolling up the chicken, make sure that you use toothpicks (and make sure you take them out before serving). Also make sure you roll up the breasts nice and tight or you’re gonna lose that cheese when you bake them. As far as the sauce – depending on what bouillon you use, you might not need that extra salt, so I advise you taste it before adding. I’ve had it come out too salty before and I’ve had it come out just right, so pay attention. Make this chicken, you’re gonna love it!
Prep time for this Cordon Bleu is only about 25 minutes, and it cooks for about the same time, so you can have this delicious dinner on the table in under an hour. The recipe makes 4 servings, but it’s super easy to modify the ingredients to make less or more. I honestly make this dinner all the time, and I’ve never had anything but rave reviews about it.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu is the perfect dinner. It's great for a special occasion (cause it's kind of fancy), but it's easy enough to have any night of the week. The Parmesan Dijon Sauce is absolutely heavenly, and I promise you that if you end up with any left over, you're gonna sop it all up with some great bread.
Le Chicken Cordon Bleu with Parmesan Dijon Sauce
for the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
for the sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bouillon cube - chicken flavored, crushed
- ½ tsp salt - optional
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup parmesan - finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise, making 4 thinner cutlets. Put each cutlet between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten with a meat pounder until they are approximately ¼" thick.
- Top each cutlet with a slice of ham and cheese - then roll up tightly, tuck in the ends and secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper together and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in another small bowl and set aside as well.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip the rolled cutlets in the flour first, then the egg wash and then roll in the breadcrumbs and set on a plate.
- Heat the oil and butter in a small skillet over medium heat and brown the chicken on all sides before transferring to a greased baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until no longer pink.
While the chicken is baking, make the cream sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and continue to whisk constantly for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, then stir in the chicken bouillon and salt - whisk constantly over medium heat until it begins to simmer and thicken - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mustard, worchestershire sauce, and parmesan until well combined and the cheese has melted.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from oven and serve drizzled with the sauce.
- (remember to remove the toothpicks before serving)