The closer and closer we get to fall, the more I crave things like pumpkin and sweet potatoes. I decided I wanted to try a sweet potato casserole or “bake,” and ended up pairing it with this buffalo chicken.
All of the flavors combine together so well—the sweetness of the potatoes gives the perfect contrast to the spicy wing sauce and the bacon adds the perfect fat and crunch. The celery and blue cheese really pull the whole theme together. None of the flavors here compete; they blend together perfectly.
(This recipe was originally published here on 09/18/2014)
- olive oil - 3 tbsp, separated
- onion - 1 large, chopped
- garlic cloves - 4, minced
- sweet potatoes - 5 large, peeled and cut into small cubes
- chicken breasts - 3, cut into bite sized pieces
- paprika - 2 tbsp
- cumin - 1 tsp
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce - 1 (12-oz) bottle
- bacon - 1 cup, cooked and crumbled
- blue cheese - 1/2 cup, crumbled
- celery - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 F and grease a large baking dish.
In a skillet, over medium heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil and sautee the onion and garlic together until the onion is translucent, then remove from heat.
- Put the sweet potatoes, chicken pieces, paprika, cumin, the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and the cooked onions and garlic together in a bowl and toss them to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over about ¾ of the bottle of wing sauce and toss again until everything is well coated.
- Pour everything into the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes - stirring well every 10 - 15 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are fork tender, remove from the oven. Drizzle on the remaining wing sauce, then sprinkle on the bacon, blue cheese and celery. Return to the oven for about 5 more minutes to melt the cheese.