Not quite a taco salad, and not quite a traditional Frito pie — whatever it is, this salad is delicious. It’s infinitely modifiable to suit your particular tastes. Instead of using taco meat, I decided to go with my Super Delicious Sloppy Joe beef to give it some extra zip. The combination of all the flavors together with that Frito crunch works perfectly. The sloppy joe beef is a little bit sweet and went perfectly with the spicy jalapenos.
If you want to make this with your favorite taco meat recipe, you might want to toss the romaine in a little chunky salsa first to give it a little extra spice. This salad makes for a perfect lunch or dinner. It’s super easy to make and super easy to eat — it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
(This recipe was originally published here on 05/08/2015)
- romaine - 4 cups, roughly chopped
- fritos - 4 cups
- sloppy joe or taco beef - 6 cups
- cheddar cheese - 3 cups, shredded
- tomatoes - 2 large, diced
- avocados - 2, diced
- jalapeños - 1/2 cup, chopped
- sour cream - 1 cup
- Divide the romaine equally between 4 large bowls and top with equal amounts of the remaining toppings in whatever order you choose. Feel free to add whatever additional toppings you'd like: salsa, black olives, bacon - go crazy.