Roasting the tomatoes with the garlic stuffed inside of them gives this roasted tomato soup so much flavor, it's ridiculous. The balsamic adds a nice tang that really pulls it all together and the sour cream adds a bit of richness and really ups the yum factor. Serve this soup with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, or before a nice dinner.
Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic and Basil
- 5 pound tomatoes - If possible San Marzano Canned
- 1 head garlic - coarsely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions - sliced into thin rings onion
- 3 medium carrots - peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 20 basil leaves - torn
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and grease lightly.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice for later.
- Take each tomato and gently push about 2 or 3 slices of garlic in it, then arrange on the foil and drizzle with a little olive oil, generously salt and pepper and sprinkle with dried basil.
- Roast in the top third of your oven for about 30 - 35 minutes, until beginning to char, but not drying out completely.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat the oil and butter in a large soup pot, add the onion and carrot, a generous amount of salt and pepper, and saute over medium heat until the onion begins to lose it's shape, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the reserved tomato liquid, tomato paste, the balsamic vinegar, sugar, and stock, then increase the heat a bit and bring the soup to a low simmer.
- When they are ready, add the tomatoes with their juices and continue to simmer the soup for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the soup from heat, let cool for about 10 minutes, then whisk a few tablespoons of the hot soup into the sour cream to warm it, then add it and the basil to the soup and pulse-blending until smooth.
- Serve with a crusty baguette and garnish with a little sour cream and a basil leaf or two.