This pea soup recipe is so easy to make, and it's just so good - I make it all the time. I love peas, and their flavor really shines through here, there's nothing to mask it. The onion and garlic just enhance, and the sour cream gives such a great creaminess, I wouldn't leave it out. She always offers either bacon or baby shrimp to top it off, and both are great, but I'm more of a bacon guy. I like it to have some texture, but if you want to you can run it through a sieve and keep out all the (yummy) pea bits.
Pea Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium chopped onion - roughly
- 2 garlic
- 1 ½ pound peas - frozen about 4 cups
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper - to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, stir for a minute, then pour enough stock over them to cover by about 2 inches.
- Increase the heat and boil gently for about 15 - 20 minutes, until the peas are very soft and the liquid has reduced somewhat.
- Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add the sour cream, and blend until combined.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and crispy bacon or baby shrimp.
If you want a very smooth texture (you will lose a lot of volume) you can strain the soup through a mesh sieve.