This spinach feta quiche came into my life and I could not have been more pleased. I was craving quiche (big surprise) the other night, so I decided to root around in my fridge to see what I could come up with. I just happened to have some spinach, feta cheese, and a red pepper lying around, it seemed like a perfect combination. I sauteed the pepper a bit first so that it softened up – and I prefer the flavor of it that way, and I wilted the spinach a bit so it took up less room.
You can always just use a store-bought crust, or make your own – however if you do buy store bought, I highly recommend you buy a sheet of pastry dough as opposed to one already in a pan. It always works much better for me and you have a little more flexibility with how you’re going to place it in your own pie pan.
Prep time on this Spinach Feta Quiche is only about 15 minutes, and it’s in the oven for about 30 minutes max. It feeds up to 8 people, so this is the perfect option for a weekend breakfast or a great addition to any brunch buffet table.
Spinach, Feta and Red Pepper Quiche
- 1 pie crust
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red pepper
- 3 cups spinach - fresh
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Pre heat oven to 350 F (175 C)
- Grease a pie pan, cover it with your dough, poke holes in the bottom, line the dough with aluminum foil and weights, and pre-bake in your oven for about 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the red pepper, and saute until softening, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the spinach, moving it around a lot so it doesn't overcook, when some leaves begin wilting, remove from heat.
- Crumble feta cheese over the base of your pre-cooked crust.
- Lightly squeeze the liquid from the spinach/peppers and spoon over the feta.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl, generously salt and pepper, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the sour cream and whisk until blended and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach, return to oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until set.