This chicken broccoli casserole will definitely satisfy a craving for comfort food. It's easy to make, and the cream cheese and sour cream make it so rich and creamy. It's also super easy to modify - you can add any other vegetables you want.
Check out these kitchen essentials helpful in making this recipe:
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- broccoli florets - about 3 cups
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- butter - 1 tbsp
- chicken breast - 1 pound (500 g), sliced and cubed
- salt and pepper - generous amount
- garlic powder - generous amount
- onion - 1 medium white or red, diced
- garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- crimini mushrooms - about 2 cups, quartered
- dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- chicken stock - 1 cup
- sour cream - 1 cup
- flour - 1 tbsp
- cream cheese - 1 8 oz (200 g) package
- croutons - about a cup, crushed
- Pre heat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Steam the broccoli florets until just under tender and place them in the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat, then add the chicken, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then cook until done - stir frequently and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Using a strainer, remove the cooked chicken from the pan and arrange it in the dish with the broccoli.
- Leave the liquid in the pan and lower the heat a little, add the diced onion, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and cook until they have released most of their liquid, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, then pour in the wine, and boil until the liquid reduces by about half, about 3 minutes.
- Using a fork, whisk the flour, cream cheese, sour cream and stock together until blended, then stir into the sauce and simmer until it begins to thicken, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, and bake in the oven about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the croutons bits over the top about 10 minutes before the casserole is done.
- This goes really well with a heartier grain like wild or brown rice or whole-wheat pasta - although it's also very good by itself with a nice crusty bread.