This healthy, simple Shrimp and Spinach Pasta could not be easier to make, and it’s absolutely bursting with flavor. I made this dish for a couple adults and their children, and they were all begging for seconds. The flavors really are simple – but they blend together perfectly. The lemon and garlic provide more than enough punch to make this seem like it took hours to make.
This dish is super easy to modify – a good substitution for the spinach is arugula or kale, it can give a bit more of a bite. You can also use whatever pasta you have on hand, I think it would be great with a fork-type pasta like farfalle as well. In all honesty I used a lot more crushed red pepper than called for in the recipe, but I like things on the spicy side. You can also substitute chicken breast for the shrimp if you want. I haven’t tried that yet, but I’m 99% sure it would turn out absolutely delicious as well. 🙂
Prep time is virtually non-existent, only about 5 minutes and cooking time takes about 25, so if you want a quick, light dinner on the table in under ½ an hour, this is the recipe for you. As written, the recipe serves 4 people.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Spinach Pasta
- ½ lb fettuccine
- ½ cup butter - separated
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp red pepper - crushed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice - fresh squeezed
- 1 lb shrimp - peeled and deveined
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup parmesan - freshly grated
- 2 tbsp parsley - chopped fresh
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook the pasta to al dente - about one minute less than package directions. Drain it well and set aside. Do not rinse.
- Melt half of the butter in a large, heavy bottomed skillet. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two, then add the crushed red pepper and lemon juice. Stir until hot.
- Add the shrimp, season generously with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until pink - about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, the cooked pasta and spinach, and stir with tongs to combine and wilt the spinach. Add the parmesan and stir more to combine.
- Use the tongs to serve the pasta immediately and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.