I have made overnight breakfast casseroles before, but I love the few tweaks in hers - the croutons are the perfect bread to soak up all that eggy goodness, and the cream of mushroom soup adds so much flavor as a topping. I absolutely love this savory casserole and will continue on in Mary's tradition of serving it to fabulous Sunday morning house guests.
Overnight Breakfast Sausage Bake
- 1 ½ pounds sausage
- 2 ½ cups croutons
- 3 cups cheddar cheese - shredded
- 2 ¼ cups milk - separated
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup - condensed
- Brown and drain the sausage in a heavy bottomed skillet, then place in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the croutons over the sausage.
- Beat together the eggs, 1 ½ cups of the milk and the powdered mustard, then pour this over the top.
- Add the shredded cheese, pack down a bit with your hands, then cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup together with the remaining ¾ cup of milk and spread over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until set. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.