This easy pasta recipe is so wonderfully simple and delicious - it's quick too - it can go from the grocery bag to the table in about 30 minutes, perfect for a busy night. Roasting the vegetables gives them so much more flavor than cooking them on the stove. I like things spicy, so I always add a lot of crushed red pepper to this dish, but if you're not a fan of spice just go without, the garlic adds plenty of flavor.
If you enjoy eggplant, try my breaded eggplant recipe! This gem is Italian comfort food with a lovely crispy texture and delicious parmesan flavor.
Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- 12 oz pasta - dry
- 1 large eggplant - or 2 small, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large zucchini - chopped into bite sized pieces
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes - halved
- 4 cloves garlic - thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- salt and pepper - to taste
- crushed red pepper - optional
- Pre heat oven broiler (top heat) to 400 F (200 C).
- Put the chopped eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and garlic in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil, generously salt and pepper, then toss to coat well.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper, and spread the oiled vegetables out evenly. They can touch, but do not stack on top of each other.
- Put the baking sheet in the second slot down from the top broiler, and cook for about 10 - 13 minutes, until starting to blacken.
- Remove the sheet from the oven, use a wooded spoon to stir the vegetables, turning as many over as possible, then return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Start the pasta when you put the vegetables in the oven for the second time.
- Drain the pasta well, return it to the pot and drizzle with teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle in crushed red pepper (if using).
- Add the roasted vegetables (and any accumulated liquid), and toss together gently with tongs.
- Divide on four plates and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.