Casseroles are some of the best weeknight dinners out there and this one with Chicken and Broccoli is no exception! It takes virtually no time to throw it together, then you can pop it in the oven an sneak in a nice hot bath with a glass of wine while it's baking! It smells soooooo good to while it's cooking, it's sure to keep you little ones patiently waiting for dinner.
This casserole truly is rich and creamy - the sour cream and cream cheese blend together in the sauce so perfectly. Add as much broccoli as you want, once it bakes in that delicious cream sauce everyone is going to be asking for more. The perfect way to get some veggies in your loved ones. 😉
some things I use when I make this casserole:
casseroles, and casseroles, and casseroles - oh my!
check out our latest videos
you can watch a video to see how I make this casserole:
- broccoli florets - about 3 cups
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- butter - 1 tbsp
- chicken breast - 1 pound (500 g), sliced and cubed
- salt and pepper - generous amount
- garlic powder - generous amount
- onion - 1 medium white or red, diced
- garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- crimini mushrooms - about 2 cups, quartered
- dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- chicken stock - 1 cup
- sour cream - 1 cup
- flour - 1 tbsp
- cream cheese - 1 8 oz (200 g) package
- croutons - about a cup, crushed
- Pre heat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Steam the broccoli florets until just under tender and place them in the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat, then add the chicken, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then cook until done - stir frequently and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Using a strainer, remove the cooked chicken from the pan and arrange it in the dish with the broccoli.
- Leave the liquid in the pan and lower the heat a little, add the diced onion, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and cook until they have released most of their liquid, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, then pour in the wine, and boil until the liquid reduces by about half, about 3 minutes.
- Using a fork, whisk the flour, cream cheese, sour cream and stock together until blended, then stir into the sauce and simmer until it begins to thicken, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, and bake in the oven about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the croutons bits over the top about 10 minutes before the casserole is done.
- This goes really well with a heartier grain like wild or brown rice or whole-wheat pasta - although it's also very good by itself with a nice crusty bread.
this post contains affiliate links