I was visiting my best friend a while ago and her friend Mary invited us for Sunday brunch while I was in town. She made her famous Overnight Sausage Bake and I was immediately in love. I asked her for the recipe because I knew I had to share this absolute deliciousness.
I have made overnight breakfast casseroles before, but I love the few tweaks in hers - the croutons are the perfect bread to soak up all that eggy goodness, and the cream of mushroom soup adds so much flavor as a topping. I absolutely love this savory casserole and will continue on in Mary's tradition of serving it to fabulous Sunday morning house guests. 😉
check out these other delicious breakfast casseroles:
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- sausage - 1 1/2 pounds
- croutons - 2 1/2 cups
- cheddar cheese - 3 cups, shredded
- milk - 2 1/4 cups, separated
- dry mustard - 1 tsp
- eggs - 4
- condensed cream of mushroom soup - 1 can
- Brown and drain the sausage in a heavy bottomed skillet, then place in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the croutons over the sausage.
- Beat together the eggs, 1 1/2 cups of the milk and the powdered mustard, then pour this over the top.
- Add the shredded cheese, pack down a bit with your hands, then cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup together with the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and spread over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until set. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.