This recipe comes from my mother and it is one of my favorite things she makes. The multiple layers of crushed corn tortillas, ground beef, cheese and Mexican sauces give this enchilada pie the perfect texture and totally delicious flavor.
Looking for Mexican recipe ideas? Here are a few fantastic Enchilada recipes:
The Whole Enchilada Pie
The multiple layers of crushed corn tortillas, ground beef, cheese and Mexican sauces give this enchilada pie the perfect texture and totally delicious flavor.Print Pin Rate Share
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - pressed
- ⅓ cup mexican salsa
- 16 oz refried beans
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 cup black olives - sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups corn chips - crushed
- 3 cups cheddar cheese - grated
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced green onions
- diced avocado
- optional sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic until the beef is browned and the onion is soft.
- Lower the heat and add the salsa, beans, enchilada sauce, olives, and salt. Stir and cook until well combined and bubbly, then remove from heat.
- Place 1 cup of the chips in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread half of the beef mixture on top. Top with another cup of the chips and half of the cheese. Spread over the remaining beef mixture, the rest of the chips, and sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- Bake the pie for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the center is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately with bowls filled with garnishes.
Calories: 987kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 2464mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1033IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 608mg | Iron: 4mg
This recipe was first published in a culinary murder mystery by Diane Mott Davidson. She used picante sauce instead of salsa. Its a great recipe, but, to be fair, credit should be given to Me. Davidson.
hi - are you using corn chips, like Fritos, or a Mexican style chip like you would use with salsa? thanks!
I made this tonight...it was really good. 🙂 I used a dish that was a bit too large but just baked it for 15 minutes and I added some chili powder and cumin to the meat mixture. I'll make this again. 🙂
the recipe calls for 6 cups of chips. You put 1 cup on 1st layer, 1 cup on 2nd layer, so you are putting 4 cups on the top? just wondering! sounds good.
[…] RECIPE ->https://comfortablefood.com/whole-enchilada-pie/ […]
I made this tonight for my family and we all loved it. I will definitely be putting this in my rotation of recipes. Thanks so much for sharing
I can't wait to try another of your amazing recipes! This sounds so yummy, my mouth is actually watering! My family is really starting to take notice of what they're shoveling into their mouths for a change...Although I still have to ask for compliments on ameal well done! Thanks for your inspiration. Keep up the good work. LIKES all the way