7 Flares 7 Flares ×
Easy, Classic Meat Lasagna Recipe
This simple, classic meat lasagna is my favorite lasagna recipe. This recipe is easily adaptable for all types of lasagna - if you want vegetarian, just substitute the beef and sausage for extra cheese, spinach or mushrooms.
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 1 small, chopped
- garlic cloves - 2 cloves, minced
- ground beef - 1/2 pound
- italian sausage - 1/2 pound, ground
- basil - 1 tbsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- tomato sauce - 3 cups
- tomato paste - 1 6 oz can
- lasagna noodles - 10 ounces about 12 sheets
- ricotta cheese - 3 cups
- parmesan - 1/2 cup, grated
- parsley - 2 tbsp, dried
- eggs - 2, beaten
- salt and pepper - to taste
- mozzarella cheese - 1 pound, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then add the onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add the beef and sausage and cook until browned then stir in the basil, salt, tomato sauce and tomato paste - simmer together for about 30 minutes.
- If the lasagna noodles need to be pre cooked, do this now - according to package directions. Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, parmesan, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a 9"x13" baking dish and spread a small amount of the tomato sauce in the bottom. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on some lasagna sheets, then lay them ricotta side up in the bottom of the pan. Spoon on about 1/3 of the meat sauce then sprinkle on 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat this process two more times, ending with the mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes; let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.