1 Flares 1 Flares ×
Super Hearty Stuffed Peppers
The filling in these easy to make hearty stuffed peppers is perfectly zesty and flavorful. The fresh basil adds such a brightness of flavor and helps pull it all together. Make these for a special family dinner any night of the week.
- bell peppers - 8, assorted colors
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- onion - 1 large, chopped
- garlic cloves - 3, minced
- beef - 1 pound (500 g), ground
- sausage - 1 pound (500 g), ground
- salt and pepper - use very generoulsy
- diced tomatoes - 2 14 oz (400 g) cans, with juices
- basil - 1/4 cup fresh, shredded
- oregano - 1 tbsp
- worcestershire sauce - 3 tbsp
- water - 1 cup
- brown rice - 1 cup or another hearty grain like barley or spelt
- cheddar cheese - 2 cups, shredded and divided
- parmesan - 1/2 cup, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) and spray a casserole dish or jumbo muffin pan.
- Remove the tops of each pepper (reserve the top) and scoop out the seeds and ribs using a spoon. Chop up the pepper tops, and set aside.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium low heat, and cook the onion and chopped pepper until soft, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the ground beef and the sausage and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, then drain any excess grease.
- Generously add salt and pepper and stir in the canned tomatoes, basil, oregano, Worcestershire, and water - stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then stir in the rice and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice has softened and most of the liquid is absorbed - about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix the two cheeses together, then stir about two thirds of the cheese mixture into the meat. Spoon the meat carefully into the prepared peppers and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese is starting to brown and bubble and the pepper has shriveled and cooked.