The Super Delicious Sloppy Joe & Video
This is seriously the best Sloppy Joe I've ever had. Forget the days of school cafeteria food - this is the real deal. There are a lot of ingredients in the sauce, but they are integral in that they blend together perfectly to make this the tangiest, zippiest Sloppy Joe that there is.
I served this sandwich off my food truck for years and could never take it off the menu because it was so popular. If you're looking for a meal that will please the little ones and adults alike, then this is the recipe for you. Check it out and let me know in the comments section what you think of it!
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- ketchup - 3/4 cup
- chili sauce - 3/4 cup I used sweet thai chili sauce
- water - 1 cup
- balsamic vinegar - 2 tbsp
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- chili powder - 2 tsp
- cumin - 1/2 tsp
- dijon - 1 tbsp
- crushed red pepper - 1/2 tsp or more
- worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp
- butter - 2 tbsp
- onion - 1/2 large, diced
- green pepper - 1 large, diced
- garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- ground beef - 2 pounds (1 kilo)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ketchup, chili sauce, water, vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, mustard, red pepper, worcestershire and tomato paste and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up well with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the liquid mixture, generously salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns with mustard, pickles and cheese if you want.