This mac and cheese is over the top delicious. It’s super creamy, a little bit spicy and the bacon gives it a supreme smokiness. The flavors of the aged cheddar and the green of the jalapeno blend together perfectly.
Make this for dinner by itself, or serve it in smaller portions as a delicious side.
Bacon, Cheddar and Jalapeño Mac and Cheese
- 6 tbsp butter - divided
- 4 slices white bread - crusts removed
- 10 strips bacon - cut into pieces
- 2 jalapenos - seeded and diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups white cheddar - shredded
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar - shredded and divided
- 1 lb pasta - short or tubular cooked about 2 mins less than package directions
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a medium baking dish. (I used a large pie pan)
- Melt 2 tbsp of the butter and in a small bowl toss it with the bread pieces then set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a heavy bottomed pot. When cooked, remove it to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Remove most of the bacon grease from the pot, but leave any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
- Add the 4 tbsp butter and jalapeno and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, scraping up the bacon bits.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook - whisking constantly - for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and just about to simmer - about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Generously add salt and pepper and stir in the white cheddar and two cups of the sharp cheddar - stir until melted, then fold in the bacon and the pasta.
- Pour the pasta into the prepared dish, toss the bread pieces with the remaining ½ cup of sharp cheddar and spread over the top.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, until bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.