This corn soup is so comforting, it's warming and colorful and perfect for a cold winter evening. It's really deceiving in it's simplicity, it has few ingredients, and it's so incredibly flavorful. It's quick and easy to make and it's super rich and creamy. The spice level is totally up to you - I used 2 chipotles and some adobo and it was really smoky and pretty spicy. You can use less or more, depending on your taste.
Spicy, Delicious Corn Soup
- 1 ½ pounds corn - frozen and thawed
- 2 chipotles - minced
- 2 teaspoon adobo
- 2 cups - skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper - seeded and diced
- 1 medium zucchini - diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can tomatoes - 14 oz can, diced, drained, and rinsed
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Puree about ⅓ of the corn with the chipotles, adodo, and milk in a food processor or with an immersion blender, and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium high heat, then add the onion, garlic, pepper and zucchini and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining corn and the stock and bring to a boil, then add the pureed corn and the tomatoes and cook until hot, but not boiling - season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some good bread and garnish with a dollop of sour cream.