Biscuits and gravy are quite possibly the best comfort food ever. They’re perfect not only for breakfast, but at any time of day! This recipe is so easy, there’s no reason not to make it; it takes all of 20 minutes. You can buy pre-made biscuits to make it even easier, although I love to make my easy buttermilk biscuits.
I added cayenne and nutmeg to this recipe – I think it really pulls the sauce together. If you don’t like spicy, just eliminate the cayenne. You can add other herbs too…fresh sage or a pinch of thyme are amazing in these!
Easy Biscuits & Gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground black pepper - freshly
- 10 biscuits
- In a large, heavy-bottomed (I use cast iron) skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage, crumbling it up into small bits. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked sausage to a bowl, leaving behind the grease and any brown bits that stuck to the skillet.
- When the roux turns brown, slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add the salt, nutmeg, cayenne, and pepper and continue to mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cooked sausage. If the mixture is too thick you can whisk in some more milk.
- Serve immediately over freshly baked hot biscuits.