There are few meals that I love more than a big steaming bowl of creamy pasta. This one hits the spot every time—it’s very simple to make and the flavors blend together perfectly. It’s a great vegetarian dish as written, but if you want it to meat it up you can add Italian sausage or some cooked chicken breast.
A longer pasta, like fettuccine, works best with this sauce—you want something with as much surface area as possible to coat with all that deliciousness. I love my cream sauce with a kick, so I doubled the crushed red pepper. If you like it spicy like me, you should do the same.
Rich and Creamy Tomato and Basil Pasta
- 8 oz pasta - uncooked
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes - not drained 14 oz
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup basil - fresh
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese - grated
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions. While the water is heating, you can prepare the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the tomatoes and salt and cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat until most of the liquid has cooked away. Remove from heat and let stand for a minute, then whisk in the milk.
- Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Add the basil, Parmesan cheese and tomato mixture and toss to coat. Garnish with additional chopped basil and Parmesan cheese.