These Italian stuffed zucchini boats are super hearty and delicious. They’re stuffed with ground beef simmered in a spicy Italian tomato sauce and they’re the perfect low carb option if you’re craving a pasta dinner. Summer is coming and you’re bound to have an endless supply of zucchini and this is the best stuffed zucchini recipe I’ve tried. They’re seriously so easy to make, and they’re so modifiable, you can add just about anything you want to them.
Love my stuffed zucchini boats? My stuffed tomatoes with ground beef are super delicious and a great way to use up extra tomatoes.
I have several other stuffed zucchini boat recipes on the site, scroll down a little to see them. Whenever I’m in the mood for lasagna but I want to keep it low carb, these zucchini boats are just the option I love. They’re seriously delicious!
Italian Style Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 zucchinis - large
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 2 8 oz fresh mozzarella - sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a medium heavy large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 - 5 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to cook for a few more minutes, or until fragrant.
- Increase the heat and add the ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper and the Italian herbs and cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the sauce comes together and thickens - about 20 minutes.
- Slice the zucchinis lengthwise down the middle, then use a spoon to carefully hollow out the center. Be sure to leave enough on the sides and the bottom so the zucchini holds its shape.
- Spread some olive oil on the bottom of a casserole dish, then add the zucchini and spread some olive oil over them as well.
- Fill each boat with the meat sauce, then bake in the oven for about 20/25 minutes, or until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Remove from the oven then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, followed by the mozzarella slices.
- Put in your broiler on high heat until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown - about 5 - 8 minutes.