This healthy zucchini pizza boat recipe is made with fresh ingredients and is so easy to make that you will be able to whip it up in no time - plus they are very affordable, making them the perfect option for those on a budget.
Making these delicious zucchini pizza boats is the perfect way to enjoy a delicious and healthy pizza without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Also, check my easy one pan chorizo pasta with zucchini recipe if you have extra zucchinis.
⭐ Why this recipe works
Low-carb zucchini boats are a healthier alternative to traditional pizzas and take 40 minutes to make. Zucchini pizza boats use fresh ingredients that give this dish a delicious flavor.
This recipe is versatile and can be easily adapted to suit your tastes. Whether you are a fan of pepperoni or prefer a vegetarian option, these zucchini pizza boats will not disappoint.
The boats are filled with a delicious tomato pizza sauce, vibrant basil pesto, and topped with pepperoni, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
You can, however, customize your zucchini pizza boats by adding your favorite toppings like turkey sausage, onions, tomatoes, etc.
This dish is a great way to enjoy pizza without breaking the bank. They are affordable for families and can easily be made in large batches.
When feeding a crowd, this recipe is sure to please everyone. So, next time you are looking for an easy and affordable meal idea, these zucchini pizza boats will satisfy your pizza cravings.
They are so delicious with Italian flavors of tomato and pesto, and the cheese is melted so perfectly. The boats are tender and just the right size for a nice little appetizer or side dish. Best part? If you have extra zucchinis you can make this deliciously moist orange zucchini bread recipe.
🍽 Key Ingredients
These zucchini pizza boats use ingredients commonly found in your pantry to make the mixture. Like all pizzas, the toppings can be changed to your taste.
Basil - Fresh basil makes a difference to the fresh flavor
Sauces - Use your favorite pizza sauce or pesto
Cheese - Use Mozzarella and Parmesan for melting on top
Zucchini - Buy the straight large fresh zucchinis for the best flavor and stability.
Vegetables - We're using cherry tomatoes for sweetness and garlic for aroma.
Pepperoni - Pepperoni is an excellent addition to pizza, and it gives a nice salty flavor. Use mini pepperoni pieces or slice a large pepperoni.
Add your favorite vegetables to the pizza toppings, such as mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, olives, etc.
🔪 How to make
Healthy zucchini pizza boats are easy to make in 40 minutes using my simple-to-follow instructions. All you need to do is fill your zucchinis with the sauces, place the topping on top, and bake in the oven till perfect.
- Slice the zucchinis in half, lengthwise, and use a spoon to scoop out the inside, leaving about ½ - 1 inch of zucchini flesh around the sides and on the bottom so that the boat doesn't fall apart.
- Finely chop the garlic and slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and grease a large baking sheet.
- Mix the olive oil and pressed garlic together, then brush this into the bottom of each boat and generously rub salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to spread about 1 tablespoon of the pesto in the bottom of each zucchini boat, then follow with a few tablespoons of pizza sauce.
- Place about 4 - 5 pepperoni slices on top, then sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella cheese and nestle some cherry tomato halves in the cheese.
- Sprinkle on the parmesan and bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, rotating the dish halfway through baking until the cheese is browned and the zucchini has softened.
- Garnish with some fresh leaves of basil and serve.
💭 Cooking tips
Straight fresh zucchini.
Buy straight zucchinis to lay flat in the baking dish when cut in half instead of falling to the side.
Be careful with the pesto.
Be careful not to overdo the pesto, or it will overtake the flavors of the pizza sauce and other toppings.
Watch the pizza boats.
Watch the pizzas closely in the last few minutes of baking so that the cheese doesn't burn.
💭 Recipe Variations
Three delicious variations of these pepperoni pizza zucchini boats using this recipe.
Zucchini pizza boats with chicken
Make your zucchini boats even more filling with shredded chicken. Chicken and pepperoni is a winning pizza combination! If you have leftover chicken, check out some of these shredded chicken recipes for inspiration.
Stuffed zucchini boats
This stuffed zucchini pizza boats recipe is a succulent meaty variation filled with pizza sauce and browned ground beef (1 pound) with Italian herbs and 1 diced onion, then slices of mozzarella cheese. It's like a cheeseburger in a zucchini!
Prawn zucchini pizza boats recipe
If you love seafood, prawns are a great alternative to pepperoni on pizza and they pair well with the tomato and pesto sauce. Place 5 or 6 shrimps (deveined and shelled) on top of the sauces and cover with the cheese, and bake for 20 - 25 minutes as instructed.
🥗 What to serve with
Serve these zucchini pizza boats with a simple side salad or roasted vegetables. Or for a heartier meal, serve them with pasta, garlic bread, or soup.
Add some veggies to your table with roasted vegetables, or add some pasta with this easy pasta and roasted veggies recipe that pairs perfectly with zucchini pizza boats.
Tomato, basil and mozzarella salad pairs perfectly with zucchini pizza boats. The flavors of the salad compliment the pizza with similar ingredients, and it's quick and easy.
Garlic bread is always a favorite side dish with pizza, and it pairs perfectly with the zucchini boats.
Roasted tomato soup is a delicious and easy soup to make. This soup pairs perfectly with zucchini pizza boats. The roasted tomato flavor in the soup complements the pizza, and the soup is healthy and filling.
🍳 Frequently Asked Questions
Will frozen zucchini pizza boats go mushy when thawed?
Yes, the zucchini boats will go mushywhen thawed. However, they will still taste delicious. If you are looking for a crispier zucchini pizza boat, you can cook them longer.
How to prepare zucchini pizza boats ahead?
Once the boats are assembled, you can place them on a baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap, and place them in the fridge. They can be cooked the next day when you are ready to eat them.
🧊 Storing and ♨️ Reheating
Zucchini pizza boats are easy to store once cooled. You can store them in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for several months.
Fridge - Transfer the leftover zucchini pizza boats to an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days.
Freezer - Place the leftover zucchini boats on a tray, place the tray in the freezer until frozen, then transfer them to a an airtight freezer container. when you want to eat them, thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Reheating - The best way to reheat leftover pizza boats is to preheat an oven to 350F degrees. Place the frozen zucchini boats on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave. Place the boats on a plate and reheat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
🍳 Related Zucchini Recipes
If you love my pizza zucchini boats recipe. Try one of these fantastic zucchini recipes for your next meal.
👪 Serving Size
This zucchini pizza boat recipe will give you 6 servings or scale it down if you're cooking for fewer people.
Try these zucchini pizza boats if you're looking for an easy and satisfying meal! They're packed with flavor and can be made ahead of time.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Try one of my comfort dinner recipes for your next family meal! And if you have any questions, I'm here to help!
Easy Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 4 zucchinis
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - pressed
- ¼ cup green pesto - or red
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- pepperoni - as needed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes - halved
- ¼ cup parmesan - grated
- basil leaves - handful
- Pre heat the oven to 360 F (180 C) and grease two medium casserole dishes.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise, then gently scrape out all the seeds - hollowing out a 'boat.'
- Mix the olive oil and pressed garlic together, then brush this into the bottom of each boat and generously salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to spread about 1 tablespoon of the pesto in the bottom, then follow with a few tablespoons of pizza sauce.
- Place about 4 - 5 pepperoni slices on top, then sprinkle with the mozzarella and nestle some cherry tomato halves in the cheese.
- Sprinkle on the parmesan and bake in the top and bottom thirds of the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, rotating the dishes halfway through baking, until the cheese is browned and the zucchini has softened.
- Garnish with some fresh basil and serve.