I have to admit I am pretty obsessed with breakfast breads, and this Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Bread is rising pretty quickly to the top of my list. I have a ton of them on this site, ranging from Vanilla Clementine Quick Bread to Cream Cheese Banana Bread. I’m constantly working up new recipes for morning breads, because I am SO much more likely to get out of bed in the morning when I know there’s a slice of deliciousness waiting for me.
Combining zucchini and chocolate can sound a bit weird at first, but if you’ve ever made a zucchini bread before you know that they cook up so sweet and moist – very similar to a banana bread. You can obviously use chocolate chips if you’d like, but it’s almost 100% of the time my preference to just chop up a bar of good quality semi sweet or dark chocolate when I’m making this kind of sweet treat. I really just prefer that kind of chocolate. 🙂
Prep time on this bread is about 15 minutes, and it bakes for about 45 minutes (it can take up to an hour depending on your oven, so just start checking it after about 40 minutes). The recipe yields two loaves.
Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Bread
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter - melted and cooled
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini - shredded
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg - ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease bread pans.
- Use an hand mixer to beat the eggs until frothy.
- Add the sugars, butter, buttermilk and vanilla and beat to combine, then use a wooden spoon to stir in the zucchini and chocolate.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour into the bread pans and bake for about 45 mins to an hour, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.