Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins with Streusel Topping
- for the cream cheese topping
- cream cheese - 6 oz, softened
- powdered sugar - 3/4 cup
- vanilla - 1/4 tsp
- for the streusel topping
- brown sugar - 1/4 cup, packed
- cinnamon - 1 1/2 tsp
- butter - 3 tbsp, cold and cut into small pieces
- rolled oats - 2 tbsp
- all purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- for the muffins
- all purpose flour - 2 1/2 cups
- pumpkin pie spice - 1 tbsp
- baking soda - 2 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- white sugar - 1/2 cup
- pumpkin puree - 1 10 oz can
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- milk - 1/2 cup
- eggs - 3
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- for the cream cheese glaze
- cream cheese - 2 tbsp, room temperature
- powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- vanilla - 1/4 tsp
- salt - a pinch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin (or 6 cup jumbo tin).
make the cream cheese filling:
- Put the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla into a small mixing bowl, and use and electric mixer to blend together until smooth. Put the mixture into your freezer while you prepare the muffin batter.
make the streusel topping:
- Put the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter pieces, oats and flour into a bowl. Use your fingers (or a pastry cutter) to blend until it comes together with the butter in as small of pieces as possible. Put the mixture in the fridge until needed.
make the muffin batter:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and sugar and set aside.
- Put the pumpkin, oil, milk, eggs and vanilla into a separate bowl, and use your hand mixture to puree until combined and smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and use your hand mixer again to blend together until combined - do not over mix.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin, then use two spoons (or an ice cream scoop) to put a generous dollop of the cream cheese mixture on top. Cover with the remaining batter, making sure to not fill the muffin cups too full.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel topping on each muffin, then bake in the oven for about 15 mins, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
make the cream cheese glaze:
- While the muffins are baking, make the cream cheese glaze by using your mixer again to beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Allow the muffins to cool before removing them from the muffin tin, then drizzle the cream cheese glaze over the top, using a pastry bag or a zip lock with the corner snipped off.